Translate

14.07.2015

Building a Cathedral from Atrium on Bay in Toronto

When I worked in Timothy's in Toronto, I met a gentleman who used to come to the coffee shop for his daily tea fix. He was always very polite, kind and friendly and soon we became good friends. We talked a lot when I was preparing his beverage - we discussed the world, life, politics, normal stuff. He one day used this metaphor of life being like a grand construction of a medieval cathedral, which the metaphor I liked very much. From then on, we would come to the cafe and ask me every day how the cathedral was progressing. Upon my departure from Canada, he ask me for a word in private, sat me down and told to listen to him carefully. He then said very seriously that he knows and feels, and believes that I am capable of building a grand cathedral in my life and that he is convinced that I am able of great things.I really really moved. His words stayed with me until now.

I recently wrote to him after four years reporting on the progress with the cathedral.

I said:

" Dear Sir,

I hope you remember me  - Ania - the girls who used to work in the Timothy's Coffee Shop in Atrium on Bay.
I surely remember you and the cathedral metaphore you used in our conversations. Since I left Canada I've been working and living in Thailand where I've been builging my life and career as a teacher. The cathedral is growing. It's tough sometimes but the founds are solid so the structure is growing.
I will become a mom soon - an addition to the cathedral is arriving in September. As it's such an epic event in life, I often go back to the last conversation we had when you said I could do and achieve anything I wanted in life. I will hang on to these words now even more than before hoping that I can be a successful parent.
I hope you are doing well. Marlene, the woman who works for LAO said you are retiring soon. Oh, that would be nice - I guess.
I wish you all the best, Sir, and thank you for the words that added to the string founds of the cathedral.
Best regards,
Ania Mulica"

This is what I got:
 
"What a lovely note with such kind remembrances!! I of course remember you and have those two photographs you sold to me in the cafe . Congratulations on the prospective family addition. That is a wonderful part of life and you will be amazed at how everything becomes different but so much better upon your baby's arrival. I am touched that you remember the cathedral story. It is one I heard a long time ago and it sustains me in challenging times and gives me purpose and energy in the good times. May you always enjoy building your cathedral and know the joy it will bring to you, your child, and all who you know and many you dont know who you influence by your commitment to a better world. All the best."

Beautiful, touching words from a beautiful and wise person. And he is not the only beautiful person I met and got to know at the Thimothy's in Atrium on Bay, which the place was more for me than a workplace.


Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz